This weekend when Kevin told me he wanted to try eating gluten free I quickly jumped on board! I did a 30 day gluten free challenge several months ago and could tell a noticeable difference in how I felt. I had some bananas that were extra ripe so decided to make a gluten free banana bread.
I blended gluten free oats from Trader Joe’s in a food processor to make the flour.
In addition to this recipe being gluten free, it is also sugar free, dairy free, and oil free. You’re probably thinking this recipe doesn’t sound good at all, but trust me it is delicious! The key is to make sure your bananas are extra ripe so all of the natural sugars are developed and sweeten the bread without any added sugar.
recipe adapted from The Sweet Beet
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups mashed bananas (2-3 very ripe bananas)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp almond extract (can use vanilla)
- 2 cups oat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat over to 350 degrees. Grease loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs until fluffy.
- Add the mashed bananas, applesauce, milk, and almond to the eggs. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients.
- Combine dry ingredients with wet ingredients.
- Pour mixture into loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes.
Linking up with Jenn.
Have you tried gluten free baking? What are some of your favorite recipes?