With the beginning of a new year upon us, I’m sure many of us (myself included), are trying to start the year off right by eating healthier. After weeks of indulging on holiday treats, my body has definitely been craving some lighter fare. These blueberry muffins are gluten free, dairy free, and contain no white sugar! You would never even know any of these ingredients are missing because they are definitely not lacking any flavor. Not to mention blueberries are high in antioxidants which help boost your immune system which is just what our bodies need during flu season.
Blueberry Oat Muffins
recipe adapted from This Life Abundant
- 1 cup almond milk
- ¼ cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tbsp honey
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cups oat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray muffin tin with cooking spray or line with muffin wrappers.
- In a medium bowl, stir together almond milk, brown sugar, honey, applesauce, vanilla, coconut oil, and egg whites. Set aside.
- In a food processor, pulse oats until they are a flour like consistency.
- In a large bowl, whisk together oat flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, being careful not to over mix.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Spoon batter evenly into 12 muffin cups.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Note: If using frozen blueberries, toss them in a little oat flour to remove some of the moisture and avoid turning your muffin batter blue.
These muffins make for a great healthy breakfast or snack. Each muffin is roughly 105 calories, 2 grams of fat, 2 grams of fiber, 2 grams of protein, and 11 grams of sugar.