With the impending arrival of spring, my tastebuds have moved on from hearty soups and stews to lighter fare like fresh salads. One of my favorite spring/summer dishes is a Caprese salad. Traditionally this salad is made from tomatoes, basil, and mozzarella. This version I created replaces the tomatoes with strawberries which is a fun, fruity twist to this Italian salad.
Strawberry Caprese Salad
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1 cup fresh mozzarella, cubed
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chiffonade
- Balsamic glaze (I use Trader Joe’s brand)
- Salt and pepper
- Optional: Grape tomatoes, Avocado
- In a medium bowl, combine strawberries and mozzarella. If you choose to add tomatoes and/or avocado to the salad, mix together with strawberries and mozzarella. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Top salad with fresh basil and drizzle with balsamic glaze. Note: I use Trader Joe’s brand, but you can make your own balsamic glaze by making a balsamic vinegar reduction combined with sugar.
- Serve salad as is or on top of toasted bread for bruschetta.