Butcher and the Burger is one of those small neighborhood burger counters that quickly made a name for itself when it opened in Lincoln Park in 2011. Like the cheeseburger at Au Cheval, many local Chicagoans consider the burgers here to be some of the best in the city.
The concept of this burger joint is a “create your own” one. There are five steps to making your burger:
- Patty: House Blend Beef, Grass-Fed Beef, Pork, Turkey, Lentil and Brown Rice, Salmon, Bison, and Gulf Shrimp
- Spices: Salt and Pepper, Cajun Blend, Chicago Steakhouse, Onion Soup, Chili, Curry-Coconut-Honey, Ghost Pepper, and Umami
- Bun: Split Top Butter Egg, Whole Wheat, Croissant, Lettuce Wrap, and Pretzel
- Toppings: Cheese (American, Swiss, Cheddar, Mozzarella, Bleu, Goat), Lettuce, Tomato, Onion, Mayo, Bread and Butter Pickles, Ketchup, Mustard, and BBQ Sauce
- Extras: Bacon, Fried Egg, Avocado, Caramelized Onion, Mushroom, Black Truffled Aioli, Foie Gras, Duck Egg, Coleslaw, BBQ Pork Belly, and Pepper Jack Cheese
Kevin and I both chose to keep our burgers simple with a Beef Patty, Salt and Pepper, Cheddar Cheese, Lettuce, Tomato, Onion, Pickles on a Butter Egg bun.
The burger was super juicy and full of flavor. It was huge and I could only eat half.
We also shared an order of Hand Cut Kennebec Fries which were delicious!
We were planning on ordering some of their handmade milkshakes but were too full after eating our burgers we couldn’t eat another bite.
If you’re looking for a gourmet style burger at a quick counter service restaurant then Butcher and the Burger is for you.
Butcher and the Burger is located at 1021 W. Armitage in Chicago’s Lincoln Park neighborhood