This past weekend we went apple picking and I came home with almost three dozen apples of six different varieties. While I plan on cutting some up for quick snacks, the others I have big plans to use for some baking projects like my apple crisp recipe.
Last night I made my first couple of apple recipes and started with crockpot applesauce. This was my first time making homemade applesauce and it could not have been any easier.
Slow Cooker Applesauce
recipe adapted via Detoxinista
- 9-12 apples (any variety)
- 1/2 c water or apple cider
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Peel, core, and slice the apples.
- Place the sliced apples, water (or cider), and cinnamon in your slow cooker, then cover and set to cook on low for 6 hours, until the apples are very soft.
- Mash apples with a potato masher until applesauce is left slightly chunky.
While I saved most of the applesauce to eat on its own, I used some of it to make these healthy applesauce muffins. These muffins are grain, dairy, and sugar free. They are low in carbs but high in protein and fiber. A true guilt free baked good and a delicious one at that.
recipe adapted via Wellness Mama
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup homemade applesauce
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 1-2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp honey (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease a muffin pan with coconut oil or line with muffin liners.
- Put all ingredients into a medium sized bowl and mix until well blended.
- Let sit 5 minutes.
- Use ⅓ cup measure to spoon into muffin tins.
- Bake 12-15 minutes until starting to brown and not soft when lightly touched on the top.
- Let cool 2 minutes, drizzle with honey (if desired) and serve.
Note: These are really good with almond butter slathered on them!