For Thanksgiving this year, I was asked to bring a dessert. I knew there would already be plenty of pies so I wanted to make something different. After searching Pinterest and other food blogs, I found the perfect dessert – Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle.
Trifles are a dessert that everyone loves and there are endless possibilities with the different kinds you can make. You may remember the Berry Trifle I made for the 4th of July this summer. If you don’t already have a trifle bowl, I would highly recommend investing in one. I love using my Pampered Chef trifle bowl which comes with a stand and lid for easy transport.
Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle
recipe adapted from Taste of Home
- 1 box (14.5 oz.) gingerbread cake mix
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1 (3.4 oz.) box instant vanilla pudding
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (15 oz.) can pumpkin (not pie filling)
- 1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 (8 oz.) container whipper topping, thawed
- Mix gingerbread cake mix, egg, and water together. Pour mix into cake pan and bake according to instructions on box. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, whisk together instant pudding and milk. Let sit for about 5 minutes until pudding thickens.
- Mix pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice with vanilla pudding mixture.
- Once cake is cool, break apart into pieces with fork. Reserve 1/4 cup for topping.
- Layer in trifle bowl beginning with cake, then pudding/pumpkin mixture, and finally the whipped topping. Repeat layers until you have used all ingredients. Crumble reserved cake on top.