A couple of Saturdays ago I woke up in the mood to bake something for breakfast but didn’t know what so I began looking through my cabinets to see what I could come up with. As soon as I opened the refrigerator I saw some blackberries that I had leftover from earlier that week. I remembered a recipe I had saved several months ago for Lemon Blackberry Breakfast Cookies and luckily I had all of the ingredients on hand.
The lemon and blackberry combination was light and fresh and made for a delicious, healthy breakfast cookie that paired perfectly with my coffee.
Lemon Blackberry Breakfast Cookies
recipe adapted from Iowa Girl Eats
- 3-3/4 cups gluten-free old fashioned oats, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/2 cup mashed very ripe banana (about 1 medium banana)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 Tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 1lb blackberries, rinsed then patted dry
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees then line a baking sheet with a silpat or parchment paper and set aside. Add 1-3/4 cups oats to a food processor then process for 3-4 minutes or until very fine to make oat flour.
- Add oat flour, remaining 2 cups oats, baking soda, salt, and chia seeds to a large bowl then mix to combine. Add mashed banana, honey, coconut oil, lemon zest, and lemon juice then mix until just combined. Carefully fold in blackberries then let batter sit for 10 minutes to thicken.
- Scoop 1/4 cup batter (I used an ice cream scoop) onto prepared baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until cookies are golden brown around the edges and set on top.