Happy St. Patrick’s Day! Typically for this holiday Kevin and I will go out for dinner or I’ll make corned beef and cabbage in the crock pot, but this year I decided to change things up a little.
This year I made my first ever Shepherd’s Pie. This recipe is lightened up and is Paleo friendly too.
Healthier Shepherd’s Pie
recipe adapted via Iowa Girl Eats
- 4 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Brown ground beef, onions and garlic in a large skillet on med-high heat.
- Stir in tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce. Simmer for 5 minutes. Turn the heat off and stir in carrots and peas, salt and pepper, to taste.
- Pour beef mixture into a large, oven-proof casserole dish. Top with mashed potatoes and smooth with a spatula. (To make mashed potatoes, peel and dice four medium potatoes and boil until soft. Mash potatoes together with three tablespoons of butter Add salt to taste).
- Place casserole dish on a large sheet pan (in case the sauce overflows) and bake for 30 minutes, or until top is golden brown. Enjoy!