A big bowl of warm oatmeal is one of my favorite breakfasts! Oats are full of fiber which keeps my full and I never get tired of eating oatmeal because the flavor options are endless. I love topping mine with peanut butter and cinnamon or fresh fruit and coconut. Baked oatmeal is especially great for weekday breakfasts because I can bake a batch on Sunday and portion it out for the week to bring to work. This recipe combines some of my favorite flavors and gives me a little taste of Hawaii each time I take a bite. It is also gluten free, dairy free, and sugar free.
Blueberry Coconut Baked Oatmeal
recipe adapted via Love and Lemons
- 2 cups whole rolled oats (I used Trader Joe’s gluten free)
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- ⅔ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or any milk of choice)
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1 banana, chopped
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- ½ cup blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray an 8×8-inch (or similar) baking dish with cooking spray.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons of the almonds and coconut and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the oats, the remaining almonds, coconut, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a medium bowl combine the almond milk and coconut oil and whisk to combine.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Layer the bananas and strawberries in the baking dish and spread the oat mixture on top. Sprinkle with the blueberries and the reserved almonds and coconut.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until the top is crisp and the middle is set. Remove and let cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Optional: If you like your oatmeal sweeter, you can add 1/4 to 1/3 cup of maple syrup to the wet ingredients.