One of my favorite snack foods of all time are pickles. Bread and butter, sweet and spicy, dill, fried pickles – you name the variety, I’ll eat them! Kevin and I have even been to known to buy the giant jars of Famous Dave’s Sweet and Spicy pickles from Costco for the sole purpose of snacking on them because they are so good.
The past few weeks I’ve been eyeing pickling cucumbers at the farmer’s market and finally decided to pick some up this week and try making my own.
I picked up an entire box of pickling cucumbers for just $2!
This recipe only requires four ingredients and could not be more simple to make. The result? A perfectly salty, crisp pickle!
Homemade Dill Pickles
recipe from Smitten Kitchen
- 8-10 pickling cucumbers
- 3 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- Cut cucumbers very thin, about 1/8 inch thick. Place in a 1 liter jar with lid.
- Add salt and dill, then pour in vinegar.
- Close lid on jar and shake to distribute the ingredients.
- Place jar in refrigerator for 6-8 hours, shaking the jar once or twice.
Note: when you add the vinegar to the jar the liquid level may seem low. Don’t worry, the salt will draw out the moisture from the cucumbers which will mix with the vinegar creating the brine.
Linking up with Jenn.