Since starting Whole 30, I have been forced to find new recipes that are compliant with the program but also aren’t “too healthy” sounding to Kevin (ie. kale everything). This Sweet and Spicy Beef Stew definitely fit the bill. Even my meat and potato loving husband didn’t miss the white potatoes in this dish.
Sweet and Spicy Beef Stew is both hearty and filling and perfect for cold winter nights.
Sweet and Spicy Beef Stew
recipe adapted from Just Jessie B
- 1 lb beef stew meat
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 16 oz beef broth
- 1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 can diced chiles
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled & cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium high heat. Add the beef stew meat, and sauté until all sides are browned, but the meat is not cooked through. Drain the meat and add back to pot.
- Add in sweet potatoes, onion, red pepper, garlic, beef broth, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, chiles, and spices.
- Give everything a good mix and bring to a boil. Once the stew is boiling, lower the heat and simmer for 30-45 minutes until vegetables are soft.